We are pleased to announce the release of the Cloud Service Toolkit (CST) Identity Service, giving application developers a way to identify users that is easy, verifiable, and secure. The Identity Service integrates directly with Panasonic North America’s Internet of Things (IoT) Platform, making it easy to provide enterprise-grade security for the IoT. By matching user permissions with device permissions, only the right users will have access to IoT devices and data.
The Identity Service, which is part of the Cloud Service Toolkit, provides authentication and authorization to other web services, sites, and applications. Its design is simple and straightforward, and fully compliant with OAuth 2.0.
“To me, one of the most exciting features of the CST Identity Service is its scalability,” says Mark Nelson, Director of Engineering at Panasonic Software & Analytics Solutions (PSAS). “It is massively scalable. In fact, there is essentially no defined upper limit. The service simply scales up and down as needed.”
In addition to scalability, the Identity Service was also designed to support global operations. The service is capable of running across multiple data centers in multiple geographic regions around the world and on any cloud platform.
“We created the CST Identity Service to be extremely flexible when it comes to cloud platforms,” says Jason Reber, Cloud Systems Team Lead at PSAS. “Supported platforms include Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, and IBM SoftLayer as well as numerous other proprietary data centers. The service also supports MySQL and Cassandra database back ends.”
Other features of the CST Identity Service include the following:
- Secure user management through the use of REST APIs
- Single “source of truth” through integration with the CST Device Management Service
- Custom auditing available through a simple Java plugin
- Monitoring capabilities through the CST dashboard or other IT tools
- Flexible configuration and deployment with a five-minute download-to-run time
- High availability, redundancy, and failover capabilities that are built-in and automatic