We are pleased to announce the release of the Cloud Service Toolkit (CST) IoT Service, providing application developers with a massively scalable Internet of Things (IoT) cloud service that is extremely cost effective.
The IoT Service, which is part of Panasonic’s family of IoT microservices called the Cloud Service Toolkit. The IoT Service is the primary service for getting IoT devices and gateways connected securely to the cloud. This service, along with all the other CST services, provides built-in automatic redundancy and failover to enable you to create highly available enterprise-grade solutions and is used internally by Panasonic for their IoT solutions around the world.
“One of the real strengths of the IoT Service,” says Mark Nelson, Director of Engineering at Panasonic Software & Analytics Solutions (PSAS), “is its unlimited scale. The IoT Service automatically clusters to support any number of devices and gateways, even those systems that span the globe.”
In addition to scalability, the IoT Service leads the competition in providing the most cost-effective cloud solution. In a performance test using 1 million devices , the IoT Service was shown to have an operating cost that was dramatically lower than solutions by Amazon, Microsoft, and IBM—by as much as 94%.
Since a cloud solution must also be secure, the IoT Service features multitenancy, enabling a single deployment of the IoT Service to support all of your customers in a way that is secure and reliable.
“The IoT Service is very secure,” says Jason Reber, Cloud Systems Team Lead at PSAS. “The service uses a plugin architecture to provide enterprise-grade security, supporting a wide variety of encryption methods including support for the special encryption needed to do business in China. And when it comes to global routing, IoT traffic is securely routed around the globe using smart protocols, ensuring data integrity and proper distribution.”
Other features of the IoT Service include the following:
- Comprehensive auditing capabilities. All traffic through the IoT Service can be audited, and every device interaction can be captured. A simple Java plugin is all you need to add custom auditing functionality to your application.
- Flexible deployment. The IoT Service can be deployed on any cloud provider (AWS, Azure, SoftLayer, etc.) as well as on your own onsite data center.
- TCP & UDP support. The IoT Service accepts both TCP and UDP connections from devices and gateways.
- Microservice architecture. All CST services use a microservice architecture, giving you the flexibility to use CST services or your own service—or a combination of both.
- Ready to launch. The IoT Service has a simple, flexible configuration design that includes the ability to run the service without any set up.
- Simplified monitoring capabilities. All CST services are easily monitored either through the CST dashboard or through a variety of other IT tools.